Friday, March 28, 2008

you can't spell 'Alexander Bogusky' without 'God'

(click ad to read copy)
Some in our industry call Alex (winner of a chocolate Equine's Posteriorâ„¢ Award for putting fucking teepees in his agency) a creative "God." While I was in ad school, my mean instructors often gave that tag to Bill Bernbach. I ate it up then. Now, it just makes me very sad. As does this ad for Atlanta ad school Creative Circus in the latest issue of Creativity magazine. Not because I think it's blasphemous. No. Just because it makes me want to cry cry on this sad sad Friday for all you poor, poor misguided young wannabe copywriters/art directors. Why? Because, you're going to spend so, so much more time sucking anus and fellating cock and pretending to like products you hate and congratulating yourself for screwing the consumer than actually "creating." If you are an aspiring "creative" and you haven't read my account of copyranter's visit to the NYC offices of BBDO (including that of the God-like David Lubars), do so RIGHT NOW. Then, if you still want to be a "creative," well, God have mercy on your lost soul. Now, I need to go create a bourbon on the rocks. (the real reason I'm sad: my girlfriend left this morning to visit her Mom in Arizona for a week. you wanna go into advertising? go ahead: the pay's pretty good and it's fun. sometimes.)

4 Comments:

Blogger spencer said...

Ugh - you *liked* that fucking Cingular ad BBDO did? (Yes, I followed your links. Surprised?) I had to choke down the urge to throw something heavy at the TV every time one of those idiotic commercials started.

Color me disillusioned. Again.

12:22 PM  
Blogger copyranter said...

I think a better word is "respected" it for being different in a super-boring category. But I recognize its annoyance factor.

12:36 PM  
Blogger RFB said...

Put a drum track to this rant and start performing it on street corners near ad schools. For added effect, wear the dicksuit

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow--I'll LIKE advertising! Hold me down! Plus I really AM "into creation"! Yippe kay-YAY!

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home