Monday, August 25, 2008

Perry Farrell is the latest headliner added to the John Varvatos "I Desperately Wish I Was A Rock Star" Ad Tour.

(click ad for closer look)
The opening act, Iggy Pop, was admittedly brilliant. But then, you added (blarf) Velvet Revolver. I'm surprised you haven't included krappy Lenny Kravitz in your Rock 'n Roll Fantasy campaign yet. Now: it's Peretz Bernstein, shot with his two beautiful Great Danes on The Bowery, about a half a block from your boutique in the fumigated former home of CBGB. It's a damn cool looking ad, JV. But? You're still just a clothes salesman. And while I'm here—Hey Perry? What the hell happened after Strays? That album fuckin' rawked (no matter what the clueless pussies at pitchfork said). And then, bam, Jane's immediately crashes and burns again. What a fucking come-down, man. Btw, who's your NYC Weed source? related: I killed CBGB; Varvatos opportunistically dances on the grave of Florent; and Varvatos saves Queens, NY. (scanned from the September Esquire)

5 Comments:

Blogger Frank said...

The Great Danes are magnificent. The clothes? Not so much. Just more warmed-over '60s moddish crap. But, then, I'm that rare gay who has no sense of style, so what the hell do I know?

8:13 PM  
Blogger missa said...

So Varvatos' target demographic is the kind of douchetwat who keeps 2 great danes imprisoned in a LES room so he can look cool taking them for a little stroll on a nice day?

As a girl who adores doggies… I can't say "magnificent" is exactly the word that comes to mind. More like "ugghhhhhh." And that's not even a word, so I got nothing.

This is the one thing I'll soapbox about. Dogs are not fucking fashion accessories. They're living creatures. Fuck you, Varvatos and everyone else who can't tell the damn difference.

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I liked the Converse campaign, even if they did dance on the grave of Florent. (I guess I've never been.) But I cannot remember a time when Mr. Ferrell was ever cool. Lollapalooza isn't even cool anymore.

Suddenly, musicians, black-and-white photographs, and the LES seems a lot less interesting to me. I guess this is why everyone moved to Williamsburg.

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you were at the hot JV event last night at 315 Bowery you wouldn't be so cranky. Perry and Dave Navarro rocked the house filled with fans of the clothes and the campaign. And JV...well, he's a great guy with a vision who's not out to please everyone. He's doing what he loves.

12:12 PM  
Blogger copyranter said...

well, like I said, I have 1 JV short, and it's very nice.

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home