Thursday, February 18, 2010

And the Gold Medal for worst contextual ad in Olympics history goes to...


(click images) ...the Chartered Accountants of Canada. These scans are from Tuesday's edition of the Globe & Mail. The article appeared on the bottom of page O12, the ad appeared directly across the spread on the bottom of O13. Now, this ad was of course conceived well before the accident. But since Kumaritashvili died last Friday, CA certainly had time to pull it. I guess they didn't quite anticipate it looking like an editorial photo accompaniment to the story, complete with gut-wrenching caption. Jesus.
Previously in
: tragic contextual ads.
Related
: it's 9/11—clap your hands say yeah!

12 Comments:

Blogger Tom Megginson said...

Ouch.

9:57 AM  
Blogger mandirv said...

Although this was conceived before the accident I still think it was completely insensitive to run it after what happened. I am actually offended by this ad. Hard to say what my feelings would be had the accident not happened, but regardless they should have shown some sensitivity in the matter.

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard the CA org requested this ad be pulled and the Globe and Mail messed up and ran it anyway. Someone will be getting chewed a new one on this...

10:30 AM  
Blogger Brooks said...

D'oh! I hope Anon is right.

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

he should have used a driver

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the Honolulu Star Bulletin about a week ago there was a story on the bottom half of the page that was about a guy getting mad in a McDonald's drive-thru and running down a lady and killing her. On the top half was a picture of 3 ukelele players with a caption that indicated that they had played the song "Don't Run me Down". I ROFLED in a shocked and embarassed way.

10:24 PM  
Anonymous djueat said...

re: your hate list on the left- looks like you live on the Lower East Side, if I may say so...

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Globe & Mail simply had to move the ad to another page, and it would have been fine.

12:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my.

1:05 AM  
Blogger copyranter said...

djueat: not even close.

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The LES isn't even close? Hmmm... You're not a pinko-commie bastard so I assume you reside in the Greatest Nation on Earth and you love hockey so my guess is Concord, New Hampshire.

4:51 PM  
Blogger copyranter said...

I live in Manhattan. And I am not a pinko Commie bastard. Just plain bastard. That's all the info you're getting...but, please keep guessing.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home